• Author
  • Profile photo of Barry SmithBarry Smith
    Participant
    #1881 |

Hi,

I am curious, the maul has become somewhat a bit of a spoiler and very difficult to control especially if everyone from the team joins.

I have a few suggestions and was wondering if you think this idea would work.

1. The ref deems when the maul has formed and from that point no one else is allowed to join

2. A maul from a linout can only contain players who were part of that lineout(attacking side)

3. If a player breaks away from a maul he cannot join again if you are on the attacking side, defenders can leave and join as they often end up on the side and should be allowed to join again. But by preventing the attacking players from disconnecting and then joining, this would force a more contructed maul, but would make it defendable

• Profile photo of Marnus NorvalMarnus Norval
    Participant

The maul is spoiling rugby for me. It defeats running rugby and favors the attacking team.

I dont know if you have noticed that usually in a maul the front 3 players from the attacking side slide out of the maul taking the defending team with them and causing them to push sideways.

• Profile photo of Barry SmithBarry Smith
    Participant

Actually if you look at 90% of mauls you may find that they start off illegally. The guy who is going to carry the ball at the back, often releases both arms to get grip of the ball and it is then that he has technically broken away and when he joins again, it is an obstruction.

• Profile photo of Marnus NorvalMarnus Norval
    Participant

That is also true. Hope they find a way to fix the mauls in the near future

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.